Our first attempt at vegan protein muffins!
Vegan Chocolate Protein Muffins
So yesterday I decided to try combine two of my favourite things, protein and muffins. I used VFuel's Vegan Lean as my protein source which turned my protein muffins into the more appetising chocolate protein muffins.
I then spend hours (twenty seconds) finding the best vegan muffin recipes google had to offer, stealing little bits from each one I set out on my vegan protein muffin quest.
What you need
2 flax eggs (2Tbsps ground Flaxseed +5 Tbsps Water)
1 ¼ cup dairy free yogurt, (we used unsweetened coconut alpro)
2 bananas (nice and ripe)
2 cups rolled oats
1 scoop of VFuel Protein powder, (we used Vegan Lean Chocolate)
¼ cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
Dash of sea salt
Any additional topping you desire. (Our muffins sank a little as you can see from the photo so we decided to create a vegan whipped cream and fill the sunken middle to try and hide our lack of skills as a baker!)
What to do
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Lightly grease each slot of a standard muffin tin. We used a zero calorie avocado oil spray
- Prepare flax eggs in a small bowl, by mixing together the ground flax & water. Set aside about 10 minutes. It will thicken up and become gel-like.
- When the flax eggs are ready, add all the ingredients (except the toppings) into a high-powered blender or food processor. Blend until smooth, about 1-2 minutes. Scrape down sides as needed.
- Pour mixture into each slot about 3/4 of the way full. Sprinkle each one with your favorite toppings. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
- Test if they are done, we suggest inserting a toothpick in the middle of a muffin or two. If it comes out mostly clean, they are done.
- Let muffins cool for 10 minutes in the pan before transferring them to a cooling rack, then cool for another 10-15 minutes. The muffins might flatten out a little but don’t worry it is normal and they will still taste yummy.
- Enjoy this healthy yummy treat guilt free.
Hopefully yours turn out much better than ours, even though they didn't look the best they still tasted yummy and are a great healthy vegan alternative to muffins. (Apparently we had the oven to hot thats why ours sank)
Good luck and enjoy!